My journey from teenager to the person I thought I would be by now.



Friday, September 18, 2009

Born Into Brothels

I just watched this documentary about these children born into brothels. They are amazing children, who have horrendous lives but smile anyways. The life they were born into is the only life they have ever known and for most the only life they will ever know. I watch them and see how mature and smart these children are, and they are just tossed aside like garbage, they are put to work like slaves, and their own families when given an opportunity do not let them out. Yet you can't solely blame them it is the life they themselves were born into and don't know anything else. However I am not even a mother and I can understand and feel from just watching this movie that I want the best for them, it breaks my heart to see that most don't get that chance of an education, that chance to hope for something greater than their surrounding.


I want to help these children, I want to do more than just here and type out my thoughts, because it could have easily been me in that movie. I could have been born into such an environment, no matter what I have gone through, no matter how severe the hardships nothing compares to theirs. Knowing that there are children out their who desperately need help makes me feel somewhat selfish for wanting to bare children; there are already so many. I will never know the children in this documentary and they will never know me but I would hope that anything positive I send out sends the ripple to them, they truly deserve it.

*Look Forward*
I hope to adopt a child, and I really hope that I can make a child who came from poverty and hardship see that they are worth a family who loves them, that they are worth the time and attention. Even though I still plan on baring my own, I know that none of my future children will be taken for granted or favorited. Everyone is worthy of unconditional love.

Photos: Top by Zana "Group Shot"Archival print on Somerset papers, Mid-left by Manik, 10 "Puja"Archival print on Somerset paper, Mid-right by Avijit, 11 "Self Portrait"Archival print on Somerset paper, Bottom by Suchitra, 14 "Girl on a Roof"Archival print on Somerset paper

Website: http://kids-with-cameras.org/home/

No comments:

Post a Comment